Data entry is a vital part of data management. The quality of the data entry process would determine the quality of data and its impact on downstream processes of information management. It has been previously shown that there is a direct relation between the quality of data and business value. High quality data entry is the foundation of accurate business decision making. However, carrying out efficient data entry can prove to be a tricky business. With the help of a trusted data entry outsourcing service provider, it can be easily and efficiently managed.
One of the critical parameters that influences the quality and profitability of data entry is the kind of data entry system in place. Companies may need to upgrade or change their current data entry system in line with changing demands and requirements. The best data entry system should be one that is efficient and is able to deliver maximum results in minimal time, thus increasing the productivity and efficiency of the data entry operators. An inefficient data entry system can lead to huge costs and loss of revenue, not to speak of the negative impact on the project.
Two kinds of costs are critical: labor costs and costs required to set up and maintain data entry tasks. Therefore, your efficient data entry system must ensure that these costs are curtailed while ensuring maximum productivity. A competent and efficient document management service provider can provide you expert advice on this front.
As there can be many good quality data entry systems, how do you determine which is the one worthy of investment and implementation?
Here are five steps that you can follow to evaluate a planned data entry system that you want to implement in your own organization. If you are interested in getting your data entry projects completed by an experienced online data entry service provider, you can assuredly use this process to evaluate the existing data entry system used by the provider and check whether it suits your requirements.
5 Steps to Successful Data Entry System Implementation
Table of Contents
- 1 5 Steps to Successful Data Entry System Implementation
- 1.1 Create a List of Desired Specifications That you Want in Your Data Entry Process/System:
- 1.2 Identification and Comparison of Different Software System:
- 1.3 Perform a Cost/Benefit Analysis of the Top Software Candidates:
- 1.4 Finalize the Software Package:
- 1.5 Installation and Implementation Plan:
Create a List of Desired Specifications That you Want in Your Data Entry Process/System:
Develop a list of requirements for the new system. This list should include all your expectations with respect to your data entry project, regarding the kind of data entry project, processes and software, to be in place. The list should also mention what features you do not want to have. Experts in document data entry can be consulted on this issue.
Some of the questions that will help in this direction include:
- What are the most important requirements of the Data Entry System and what would be the objective?
- List out the flaws or weaknesses of the current system which you want to mitigate.
- List out the different software in terms of how they best help resolve these issues while maximizing productivity.
- Does it have data validation and error detection mechanisms in place? Data entry errors can be quite costly and the planned data entry software used should have these mechanisms in place. Double –key data entry should be provided as an additional option.
- Does your data entry system use software that maximizes productivity? It is imperative to buy good data entry software that promotes the productivity of data entry operators. Some companies may prefer carrying out their data entry using Access but the number of keystrokes using this approach is significantly lesser (1500 keystrokes per hour) as compared to that achieved by using a good data entry software (11600 per hour). Use high quality software for high fidelity data entry work.
- What are the number of people who would be working on the system- their experience, skillset, efficiency, keying rate and error rate?
Identification and Comparison of Different Software System:
Compare the different data entry software and rank them on various parameters. These parameters include software performance on various standards such as ease of use, operator performance, service, and reliability as well as how it affects productivity of operators. If it were able to enhance operator productivity, it would be able to bring down the data entry labor costs that are the biggest contributor to total data entry system costs. Thus, profitability is ensured. Check the different software on the following attributes: availability of technical support, vendor’s reputation, and vendor’s commitment to product.
Perform a Cost/Benefit Analysis of the Top Software Candidates:
Carrying out a cost/benefit analysis of the main data entry software being considered would help you to zoom in on the best possible software that meets your requirements. This analysis can be carried out by identifying the costs incurred and benefits obtained, among other parameters. The following can be included for this analysis: software costs, hardware costs, conversion costs that includes internal staff and outsourcing costs, training costs, tangible and intangible benefits (cost reductions, savings, process improvements, improvements in data accuracy, flexibility, and other intangibles).
Finalize the Software Package:
Following the comparison of costs and benefits, the software is selected from the top ranked contenders. If there were not much difference qualitatively between the different software, economics, and technical, support would be used as primary selection, criteria. The next step would be to identify, purchase, and configure the hardware that would best match the software. Step 3 can be used for this purpose. Consequently, the hardware and software can be ordered.
Installation and Implementation Plan:
The penultimate step is to implement the data entry software system. For this, you need to install the software, followed by training of the staff. The implementation procedure may entail necessary training for the software maintenance team and users, hardware usage training, ensuring the completion of existing data entry projects successfully and ensuring that the system is ready to cope with new tasks, data entry operator training, quality assurance procedures, preparation of documentation and tutorials on these matters, production cutover, and postproduction review.
Purchasing and installing the best data entry software in the world is not enough. Data entry techniques and data quality accuracy assurance processes must be of high standard to ensure the quality of the resulting output. The personnel must be trained in the best practices of data entry and best data entry practices to ensure data accuracy to increase the productivity. Outsourcing to a highly experienced manual data entry service provider can assuredly save time and help you complete time-critical data entry projects in record time with high accuracy.
Also Read Related Articles:
|1||Data Entry Best Practices to Enhance Data Accuracy|
|2||Top 10 Best Practices of Data Entry|
|3||7 Steps to Ensure Accurate Customer Data|