Paperwork can be overwhelming to deal with in organizations of any size. Financial paperwork in particular, is critical to managing and verifying business activities. Introducing better management practices assists with quick detection of errors or important information.
A plethora of methods to keep financial information organized are easily available. Streamlining to methods that work best for your business may seem intimidating. However it is key to organization transparency and success to maintain all financial records clearly. Start with a firm foundation and build your systems as needed.
Best Ways To Organize Invoices In Accounting
Table of Contents
Whether your preference is manual or digital retention, start organization with simple, easy to use frameworks. Spreadsheets can be used in a variety of ways to stay systematic. For instance, they could be used to keep invoices categorized by date in a single document but under multiple smaller tables or sheets.
Introduce Record Books
Much like with spreadsheets, virtual record books are also available for paperless offices. Maintaining a physical record of all invoices coming in and out of an organization with hard copies keeps information right in front of you. This works particularly well with smaller businesses.
Introduce Filing Cabinets
The most conventional of all storage options, filing cabinets have been around as long as businesses have. Creating folders to categorize invoices and picking a centralized location to store the same could be beneficial. Organizations that operate smaller financial departments and don’t prioritize information mobility could stick with filing cabinets.
Introduce Financial Management Software
Technology savvy companies may feel more comfortable introducing invoice management applications. These software solutions offer multiple avenues for keeping track of all organization finances. The options for implementation are endless. Ranging from high volume structuring options from market behemoths to smaller solutions provided by indie developers, there is definitely something for everyone.
After deciding on the right storage methods for your organization, the practice used for organization is just as important. Perhaps your system is well built but is not benefiting your business as it is supposed to. Understand what your organization needs and structure your sorting methods accordingly. Ensure all records are maintained in user friendly methods. Consider factors like;
- Maintaining separate stations for personal and professional finances. Keeping these records from interacting offers simple methods to understand the monetary situations of both.
- Invoices documents come in a variety of sizes and formats. Physical copies tend to run the risk of ink fading over time. Introduce standardization methods such as all receipts need to be scanned and printed on A4 paper before filing. Ensure payment methods are transparent and all the information needed by your finance department/professional is listed.
- Before any document is used for official purposes, verification is a necessary step. Ensure invoices are singular and correct every time they are issued or received. Multiple records make clarity hard to maintain and erroneous ones even harder.
- Numbering invoices may help keep track of their distribution or receipt. Try creating a chronological system that makes information gaps easy to detect and remedy.
- Introduce a firm management system for invoices that may be filled incorrectly or need to be cancelled. These incorrect invoices need to be recorded and maintained to ensure accidental transactions are minimal.
- Confirm and validate all invoices in terms of complete, partial or incomplete payments. Sorting transactions by their status helps businesses prioritize business activities to meet the same and in turn, improve or quicken ROIs. Our freight invoice processing services serves companies in the Road, Ocean/shipping, air, rail industries.
- Cash transactions can be difficult to monitor if records are not maintained. However it is an inevitable part of organizational finances and needs to be monitored aggressively. Introduce a separate reporting system for all cash transactions. Ensure responsible individuals are clearly listed on the transaction along with a date and signature for further verification.
- Bank statements are crucial to maintaining transparent interactions with financial governing boards and your business. Make sure all incorrect payment information is eradicated, payment details offered to clients are accurate and references to transactions are clear and confirmed.
- Do not forget to revisit your records regularly. Frequent checks keep your information clear and offer a transparent picture of the current financial situation. Additionally, understanding your finances helps you understand where resources can be redistributed to introduce more efficient and effective working practices.
Introducing better organization methods to maintain finances helps businesses understand how they function. Irregularities within records could introduce large scale, long term inconveniences and can be easily avoided. Look at how your organization functions and its needs before incorporating any system of management. Keeping structures easy to use and simple to understand makes flows of information more accurate and easy to transmit. The success of invoice and financial management lies in its ability to solve your organization’s problems. Do your research before taking the plunge.
Financial management is not as intimidating as it seems. Introducing firm organizational methods can be achieved through storage structuring and implementing firm guidelines for the same. Keeping this key information organized could reveal inconsistencies and areas for improvement within your business. Additionally, transparent record keeping allows for quick communication of information as needed by any stakeholder. Sustainable, user friendly invoice organization should be a priority for any organization.
Invensis is an expert BPO service provider of Invoice Outsourcing Services with over 20 years of experience in the domain. We will enable your finance team to organize all information from handwritten, typewritten and printed invoices and orders in a digital repository, for quick access, retrieval and channeling into other business applications and divisions.